Tyson focuses on trademark, copyright, and unfair competition law. His trademark practice includes policing, litigation, and assisting clients in the selection, clearance, and registration of trademarks. Tyson frequently represents clients in federal courts and in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Tyson also has experience advising clients regarding domain name and Internet issues, including cybersquatting, domain name disputes, and brand protection challenges involving social media platforms.
Tyson earned his J.D. with honors from The University of Texas School of Law, where he served on the Texas International Law Journal and was a member of the Intellectual Property Law Society. Tyson also graduated Cum Laude from Brigham Young University with a degree in Accounting.
Outside of work, Tyson enjoys playing sports, wakeboarding, and spending time with his wife and five kids.
Tyson is also proficient in Dutch.
- Texas Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters service (2019)
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- The Honorable Lee Yeakel IP Inn of Court
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Treasurer, Austin Chapter
- Former Chair, Austin Chapter
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Chair, Trademark Internet Committee
- Former Vice Chair, Trademark Internet Committee
- Social Media sub-committee member
- State Bar of Texas
- Trademark Committee Member, Intellectual Property Law Section
- BYU Management Society
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Texas Bar College
- Brief Reading Judge, INTA’s Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition (2016)
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Co-author with Giulio Yaquinto, “Alternate Realities: Taking Action Against Cyberspace Fraudsters Who Appropriate Trademarks for Phishing Scams, Cybersquatting, and Other Internet-Related Fraud,” American Intellectual Property Law Association, Mid-Winter Institute 2020, January 2020
- Speaker, American Intellectual Property Law Association, Mid-Winter Meeting, “Taking Action Against Cyberspace Fraudsters Who Appropriate Trademarks for Phishing Scams, Cybersquatting, and Other Internet-Enabled Schemes,” Phoenix, AZ, January 2020
- Speaker, American Intellectual Property Law Association, Trademark Boot Camp Program, “Cease-and-Desist Campaigns,” Washington, DC, June 2015 and 2016, Arlington, VA June 2017
- Speaker and Author, “Asserting or Defending Against a Claim of Trademark Genericism,” Advanced Intellectual Property Law Course, State Bar of Texas, Houston, March 2015
- Host, INTA Roundtable, “New gTLDs: Protecting Your Brand,” Austin, Texas, January 2014
- Speaker, “The New Domain Name Roll Out and What It Means for Trademark Owners,” 14th Annual Intellectual Property Symposium, University of Texas School of Law, February 2013
- Co-author with Wendy C. Larson and Sanjiv Sarwate, “New Generic Top Level Domains,” Advanced Intellectual Property Law Course, State Bar of Texas, Austin, February 2013
- “Googling a Trademark: A Comparative Look at Keyword Use in Internet Advertising”, 46 TEX. INT’L L. J. 231 (2010)