Travis Wimberly practices trademark and copyright law. He advises clients on building their IP portfolios, developing enforcement strategies, and policing of infringements. Travis represents clients in contentious matters before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office and federal courts throughout the country. He also handles licensing and other IP-related contracts and negotiations for his clients.
His experience includes four years with Vinson & Elkins LLP. Before entering private practice, Travis served as a law clerk to the Honorable Richard C. Tallman on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Travis earned his J.D. with High Honors from The University of Texas School of Law, where he was Keeper of the Peregrinus for the Chancellors, awarded for having the fourth-highest grade-point average after second year. Travis also served as an Articles Editor on the Texas Law Review and was a member of the Order of the Coif.
Before law school, Travis graduated with Highest Honors from the University of Texas at Austin, receiving a Bachelor of Science in Radio-Television-Film.
Outside the office, Travis enjoys NBA basketball, the Texas Longhorns, and trying to find the world’s best sandwich.
- Texas Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters service (2017, 2018)
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIP
- American Bar Association
- IP Law Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Austin Bar Association
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- The Honorable Lee Yeakel IP Inn of Court
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- “The Five (or More) Possible Forums for Your Trademark Dispute, and How to Choose the Right One,” Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, June 2018 (presenter)
- “Top Ten Trademark Cases of 2017-18,” State Bar Annual Meeting, June 2018 (presenter)
- “Lessons from the Anastasia Beverly Hills Trial,” In-House CLE, March 2018 (presenter)
- “Twelve Important New TTAB Rules for 2017,” In-House CLE, December 2016 (presenter)
- “Attorney’s Fees and ‘Exceptional’ Trademark Cases Under Octane Fitness,” State Bar Advanced IP Course, February 2016 (presenter)
- “Trademark Counterfeiting,” In-House CLE, September 2015 (presenter)
- “A Prayer and a Hope: Effective Prayers to Get the Relief You Really Want,” UT CLE Conference on State & Federal Appeals, June 2014 (author)
- “Recent Developments in Media, Privacy and Defamation Law: Newsgathering,” ABA’s Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Vol. 49, No. 1, Fall 2013 (co-author)
- “An Overview of the Manning Trial,” ABA Section of Litigation, Austin 2013 (author)
- “2013 Update: Developments in the Law of Newsgathering Liability,” Practicing Law Institute, August 2013 (co-author)
- Case Update, Austin Bar Association, Civil Appellate Section, September 2012 (presenter)
- Appellate Jurisdictional Issues, State Bar of Texas Civil Appellate Practice 101, September 2012 (co-author)
- “Holdover Trademark Licensees and the Counterfeiting Loophole,” 88 Texas Law Review 415, December 2009
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado