Steven Espenshade focuses his practice in the fields of trademark, copyright, and right of publicity law. Steven’s practice includes advising clients regarding the selection and clearance of trademarks, obtaining domestic and foreign trademark registrations, and handling trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Steven also represents clients with respect to acquiring, registering, and enforcing copyright assets, and negotiating and drafting licenses and other intellectual property transactions.
Steven earned his J.D. with honors from The University of Texas School of Law where he received the Jaime Davila Endowed Scholarship in Law and was a member of the Intellectual Property Law Society.
He earned his Bachelor of Arts in Psychology with distinction from Pennsylvania State University and was a member of Phi Kappa Phi Academic Honor Society and Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society.
“On prosecution and transactions matters, ‘methodical and detail-oriented’ Espenshade supplies ‘clear, prompt advice and provides solutions, not more problems’ in support of famous brands such as 7-Eleven and top-ranked foreign associates. He is a cogent choice for opinion work.”World Trademark Review's WTR 1000 (2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America® by Woodward/White, Inc. (2021-2023)
- WTR 1000 The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, World Trademark Review (2019-2022)
- Texas Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters service (2020)
- Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides, Rising Stars, Trade Marks, U.S. (2018-2020)
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- International Trademark Association
- Non-Traditional Trade Marks Committee (2022-2023)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Subcommittee of the Trademark Office Practices Committee (2018-2021)
- Young Practitioners Committee (2014-2017)
- Austin Intellectual Property Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Intellectual Property Law Section
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Speaker, The Copyright Society of the USA, Texas Chapter, “The Digital Millennium Copyright Act at 20,” Austin, Texas (May 2018)
- Host, International Trademark Association Roundtable, “Protection and Enforcement of Well Known Marks,” Austin, Texas (October 2017)
- Host, International Trademark Association, “Non-Traditional Trademarks: Prosecution and Enforcement Strategies,” Austin, Texas (July 2015)
- Speaker, Intellectual Property Law Society at The University of Texas School of Law, “Trademarks 101,” Austin, Texas (October 2013; February 2015; October 2015)
- Panelist, Texas Review of Entertainment & Sports Law Symposium, “What’s in a Name? Athletes Asserting Their Trademark Rights,” Austin, Texas (September 2013)
- Speaker, State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, “The New Texas Trademark Act,” Houston, Texas (June 2012)