Erik Combs focuses his practice on trademark, copyright, and unfair competition law. He has experience representing clients in contested proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, assisting clients in the management of domestic and international trademark portfolios, and protecting clients’ intellectual property rights with respect to issues particular to the internet, including through UDRP proceedings. Erik also has expertise assisting clients with trademark licensing and transactional matters, as well as software license agreements. Erik was singled out by peers for recognition in the World Trademark Review’s 2018 write-up on the firm.
Erik earned his J.D. from The University of Texas School of Law, where he served as Managing Editor of the Texas Environmental Law Journal. While attending law school, he received the Dean’s Achievement Award in Patent Law. Prior to law school, Erik graduated from Washington University in St. Louis earning a Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering.
Outside of the office, Erik enjoys college football, grilling, and traveling.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- The Honorable Lee Yeakel IP Inn of Court (2014-2018)
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Technology Committee Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Chair, AIPLA New Lawyer’s Commitee Webinar Subcommittee (2016-2019)
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Austin Bar Association
- Covington Pro Bono Service Award (2019)
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Speaker, “Persuasion in Practice: Persuading Judges and Juries,” AIPLA Mid-Winter Institute, February 1, 2019
- Speaker, “Domain Name Rights Protection Mechanisms & ICANN Developments,” Clear Law Institute Webinar, March 12, 2018
- Speaker, “IP Law for Estate Planning and Probate Attorneys,” Intermediate Estate Planning and Probate Course, TexasBarCLE, Houston, June 2017
- Guest Lecturer, Entrepreneurship and Community Development Clinic at the University of Texas School of Law, “IP Law Overview,” Austin, Texas, October 2015, March 2016, October 2016, March 2017, October 2017, February 2018
- Co-Author, “Trademark Surveys: Ten Common Pitfalls,” James T. Berger, Trademark Surveys in the Age of Daubert, 2016
- Speaker, Intellectual Property Law Society at the University of Texas School of Law, “Trademarks 101,” Austin, Texas, February 2015, October 2015