Rodney Caldwell has practiced in the intellectual property field since 1970. His practice has been concentrated in the litigation of trademark and related intellectual property matters, alternative dispute resolution, and counseling, including advice on trademark licensing, franchising, and intellectual property/antitrust matters. He has represented large, mid-sized, and small business clients and has broad experience in litigation of trademark, trade secret, and related unfair competition matters.
For more than twenty years, Rodney has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America under the Intellectual Property Law specialty. He also has been listed as one of the world’s leading trademark lawyers in Euromoney Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Trade Mark Practitioners.
Prior to beginning his law practice, Rodney was a project engineer for the Apollo Spacecraft Program of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in Houston, Texas, from 1962 to 1970, and he served on active military duty at Patrick Air Force Base (Cape Canaveral), Florida, with the Ballistic Missile Division of the United States Air Force from 1959 to 1962.
“'A seasoned IP attorney with extraordinary knowledge', Rodney Caldwell boasts broad expertise in areas such as trademark litigation, licensing and general counselling, and advises on unfair competition and franchising issues.”World Trademark Review's WTR 1000 (2012)
- The Best Lawyers in America® by Woodward/White, Inc. (1995-2019)
- WTR 1000 The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals (2011-2018)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated*
- Texas Super Lawyers® list, a Thomson Reuters service (2003-2007)
* AV®, BV®, AV Preeminent® and BV Distinguished® are registered certification marks of MH SUB I, LLC, used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- American Bar Association
- Chair, Ethics and Professional Responsibility Committee, Section of Intellectual Property Law, 2007—2009
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Chair, Professionalism and Ethics Committee (2016, 1998)
- Past Chair, Franchise Law Committee
- International Trademark Association
- Panel of Trademark Mediators
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- North America Subcommittee
- State Bar of Texas
- Austin Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Life Fellow of the Houston Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Moderator, “Ethics of Engagement,” American Bar Associations’ IP West, Long Beach, CA (October 2017)