Rebecca McCurry focuses her practice on trademark and copyright law. She regularly advises clients in domestic and international trademark selection, clearance, and prosecution, and assists in developing global filing strategies for new marks. Rebecca also has significant experience in trademark policing and enforcement matters with a particular focus on internet related violations such as email scams, fraudulent websites, social media takedowns, and domain name disputes. Her practice also entails counseling clients on the protection, registration, and enforcement of copyright assets.
Prior to joining Pirkey Barber, Rebecca earned her J.D. with Honors from DePaul University College of Law in Chicago, Illinois.
Outside of work, Rebecca enjoys swimming, listening to podcasts, and spending time with her family.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Austin Intellectual Property Association
- Austin Bar Association
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Presenter, “Issues with Obtaining Copyright Registrations for Logos and Related Enforcement Concerns,” In-House CLE, June 2018
- Speaker, Texas State Bar Advanced IP Course, “Copyright in Jewelry,” Houston, Texas, February 2018
- Co-Host, International Trademark Association, “gTLD: Strategizing Left and Right of the Dot,” Austin, Texas, June 2015
- Panelist, American Bar Association, “A Robust Docket: Recent Supreme Court Copyright and Trademark Jurisprudence”
- Speaker, International Trademark Association, “Social Media, Chapter Two,” Austin, Texas, October 2014
- Speaker, State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, “Fashion Law – The Intersection of Trademark and Copyright,” Austin, Texas, June 2014
- Host, International Trademark Association, “Social Media, Sweepstakes, and Other Promotions,” Austin, Texas, October 2013
- Speaker, University of Texas Intellectual Property Law Society, “Trademarks 101,” Austin, Texas, October 2013
- State Bar of Texas