Jered Matthysse practices trademark law with a primary focus on litigation and policing, frequently handling cases in federal courts throughout the U.S. and before the USPTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Jered has extensive experience in mediation and regularly assists clients with complex lawsuits and trademark policing strategies.
In 2019, Jered joined Pirkey Barber’s Firm Management Committee. He also serves on the Intellectual Property Owners Association’s Trademark Law Committee and is a charter member of The Lee Yeakel IP Inn of Court.
Jered has a background in appellate practice, having served as a law clerk for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Jered received his J.D. with High Honors from The George Washington University Law School, where he served as Executive Managing Editor for the International Law Review and was a member of the National Order of the Coif. He also earned a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and History with High Distinction from The University of Iowa.
Jered enjoys biking in his free time, as well as rooting for the Colts, Cubs, Pacers, and Hawkeyes.
“The contentious maven exudes passion and vigour, and his dynamic skill set has been employed to devastating effect in several other leading cases for the firm.”World Trademark Review's WTR 1000 (2017)
- WTR 1000 The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, World Trademark Review (2017-2022)
- Texas Super Lawyers® list, a Thomson Reuters service (2020)
- Texas Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters service (2014-2017)
- The Best Lawyers in America® Intellectual Property Litigation and Trademark Law, by Woodward/White, Inc. (2017-2021)
- Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides, Rising Stars, Trade Marks, U.S. (2015-2020)
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Trademark Law Committee
- The Honorable Lee Yeakel IP Inn of Court
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- State Bar of Texas
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Speaker, Practising Law Institute, Advanced Trademark Law 2022: Current Issues (March 2022).
- Speaker, The Mexican Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AMPPI), 2020 Annual Conference, “Startups and the Legal Industry,” Mexico City, Mexico (February 2020)
- Author, “Chapter 4: Preliminary Injunctions” Trademark Infringement Remedies, 3rd Edition, 2019 Cumulative Supplement; ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law (BNA)
- Author, “Chapter 4: Preliminary Injunctions” Trademark Infringement Remedies, 3rd Edition; ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law (BNA) (2017)
- Speaker, Iowa Intellectual Property Law Association, 2017 Annual Conference, “Trademark Law Update,” Des Moines, Iowa (October 2017)
- Author, “Selecting and Employing Expert Witnesses in US Trademark Cases,” World Trademark Review, Issue 58, December 2015/January 2016
- Speaker, American Intellectual Property Law Association, Trademark Boot Camp Program, “Cease-and-Desist Campaigns,” Washington, DC (June 2014; June 2015)
- Moderator, Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, “Sports Branding in a Fast-Moving Game: Trademark, Copyright, & Licensing in Collegiate-Sports Marketing,” Austin, Texas (May 2014)
- Host, International Trademark Association, “Social Media and Intellectual Property – The Good, Bad, and Ugly,” Austin, Texas (February 2013)
- Speaker, University of Texas Intellectual Property Law Society, “Trademarks 101,” Austin, Texas (February 2012 and January 2013)
- Host, International Trademark Association, “Internet Privacy and Emerging Issues Relating to Online and New Media Enforcement,” Austin, Texas (September 2011)