Jane Hinkson concentrates on U.S. and international trademark clearance, prosecution, and portfolio management. She has experience working with clients in a variety of fields, including accounting and tax; agriculture; apparel; beer, wine & spirits; cannabis; consumer products and services; cosmetics and personal care products; education; financial services; insurance; media and entertainment; non-profit organizations; packaged food production and distribution; pet food & pet care products; pharmaceuticals; real estate; restaurant and bar services; retail and e-commerce; social media; software and technology; telecommunications; toys & games; and travel and hospitality.more
Prior to joining Pirkey Barber, Jane was an associate attorney with the intellectual property groups at two law firms in New York, including Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP. She advised clients in trademark matters with a focus on clearance, prosecution, portfolio management, licensing, enforcement and branding strategies. Jane has extensive experience managing large trademark portfolios for multinational corporations covering both domestic and international filings, as well as significant experience managing smaller-scale filings for start-ups and established businesses alike.
Jane has spoken on various trademark law matters for the American Intellectual Property Law Association, including in Washington, DC and Tokyo, Japan, through her membership with the organization’s Japan Committee.
After 25 years in New York City, Jane has recently re-located to the Myrtle Beach area of South Carolina to enjoy and experience a different region of the US and to spend time with family members who also live in the area. She is working on improving her golf game.
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Speaker, Japan Trademark Association: “U.S. Trademark Registration Maintenance: What is Excusable Non-Use of a Mark?” (Tokyo, Japan, April 26, 2017)
- Speaker, American Intellectual Property Law Association 2017 Mid-Winter Institute: “Recent Trademark Decisions.” (Fort Lauderdale, FL, January 31, 2017)
- Speaker, American Intellectual Property Law Association 2016 Annual Meeting: “The Question of Parent or Subsidiary as the Named Owner of a U.S. Trademark Registration.” (Washington, DC, October 25, 2016)
- Speaker, Japan Trademark Association: “Federal Cases Since B&B Hardware.” (Tokyo, Japan, April 10, 2016)
- Speaker, Japan Patent Office: “Recent Trademark Cases.” (Tokyo, Japan, April 18, 2016)
- State Bar of New York