Alex Bistline practices trademark, copyright, and unfair competition law, with a primary focus on litigation and policing. Alex has represented clients in all phases of litigation, including pre-trial, trial, post-trial, and appeal. She practices in numerous federal district courts throughout the country, as well as before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She also advises clients on developing enforcement strategies, policing of infringements, and trademark-related contracts and negotiations.
Alex earned her J.D. with Highest Honors from The University of Texas School of Law, where she was Grand Chancellor of the Class of 2014, awarded for having the highest grade-point average after second year. Alex also served as a board member of the Texas Law Review and was elected to The Order of the Coif.
Prior to law school, Alex graduated with Highest Honors from The University of Texas at Austin, receiving a Bachelor of Science in Communication Studies and a Bachelor of Arts in Plan II. She was also a member of Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society.
Outside of the office, Alex enjoys hiking, cooking, and traveling.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIP
- The Honorable Lee Yeakel IP Inn of Court
- International Trademark Association
- Anti-Counterfeiting Committee
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Vice-Chair of the Amicus Committee
- Awards Committee Member
- Federal Bar Association
- Austin Bar Association
- Travis County Women Lawyers Association
- Brief Reading Judge, INTA’s Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition (2016, 2017)
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Panelist, 2017 Federal Circuit & Supreme Court IP Year-in-Review, Austin Intellectual Property Law (February 2018)
- Speaker, “Current Developments in Trademark Law”, Houston Intellectual Property Law Association and University of Houston Law Center’s 33rd Annual Institute on Intellectual Property Law (October 2017)
- Panelist, “Strategic Partnering with In-House Counsel,” IPO Annual Meeting (September 2017)
- Co-Author, “Chapter 1: The Origins of Trademark Rights and the Nature of the Interests Protected,” Trademark Infringement Remedies, 3rd Edition (2017); Cumulative Supplement (2016); ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law (BNA)
- Moderator, Houston Intellectual Property Law Association and University of Houston Law Center’s 32nd Annual Institute on Intellectual Property Law (October 2016)
- Speaker, “Trademark Law Update 2015-2016: The Slants, the Redskins, and Other Less Disparaging Trademark Cases”, Austin Intellectual Property Law Meeting (September 2016)
- Speaker, “Trademark Law Update,” State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting (June 2016)
- Speaker, “Hot Topics in Litigation and Damages in IP – A Full, Comparative Review of Major Issues Impacting Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, and Trade Secrets,” American Intellectual Property Law Association Annual Meeting (October 2015)
- Author, “Raising the Stakes: Trademark Litigation in the Wake of B & B Hardware, Inc. v. Hargis Industries, Inc.,” Trademark Reporter® (Vol. 105, No. 4., July – August, 2015)
State Bar of Texas
U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas