Tyson focuses on trademark, copyright, and unfair competition law. His trademark practice includes policing, litigation, and assisting clients in the selection, clearance, and registration of trademarks. Tyson frequently represents clients in federal courts and in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Tyson also has experience advising clients regarding domain name and Internet issues, including cybersquatting, domain name disputes, and brand protection challenges involving social media platforms.
Tyson earned his J.D. with honors from The University of Texas School of Law, where he served on the Texas International Law Journal and was a member of the Intellectual Property Law Society. Tyson also graduated Cum Laude from Brigham Young University with a degree in Accounting.
Outside of work, Tyson enjoys playing sports, wakeboarding, and spending time with his wife and five kids.
Tyson is also proficient in Dutch.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIP
- The Honorable Lee Yeakel IP Inn of Court
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society
- Chair, Austin Chapter
- Member, International Board Finance Committee
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- BYU Management Society
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Texas Bar College
- International Trademark Association
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Speaker, American Intellectual Property Law Association, Trademark Boot Camp Program, “Cease-and-Desist Campaigns,” Washington, DC, June 2015 and 2016
- Speaker and Author, “Asserting or Defending Against a Claim of Trademark Genericism,” Advanced Intellectual Property Law Course, State Bar of Texas, Houston, March 2015
- Host, INTA Roundtable, “New gTLDs: Protecting Your Brand,” Austin, Texas, January 2014
- Speaker, “The New Domain Name Roll Out and What It Means for Trademark Owners,” 14th Annual Intellectual Property Symposium, University of Texas School of Law, February 2013
- Co-author with Wendy C. Larson and Sanjiv Sarwate, “New Generic Top Level Domains,” Advanced Intellectual Property Law Course, State Bar of Texas, Austin, February 2013
- “Googling a Trademark: A Comparative Look at Keyword Use in Internet Advertising”, 46 TEX. INT’L L. J. 231 (2010)