Chris Kindel has focused his practice on intellectual property trademark and copyright matters since he began his legal career in 2001. His experience crosses a wide range of industries including consumer and luxury goods, retail sales, hotel services, music and entertainment, pharmaceuticals, software, financial and consulting services and information technologies industries.more
Chris has particular expertise assisting clients on trademark and copyright licensing and transactional matters, ranging from drafting and negotiating character license and brand extension agreements to providing counsel on IP issues in large M&A transactions. Having spent several years of his practice on an international team focused on managing the international portfolios of well-known brands, Chris has extensive experience providing strategic counselling on international protection and enforcement issues. Chris is also well versed in domestic and international trademark clearance, portfolio management, global filing programs, global clearance projects, multi-country oppositions, domain-name issues, anti-counterfeiting and infringement actions.
In 2001, he earned his J.D. with honors from the University of North Carolina School of Law, where he was a recipient of a Chancellor’s Scholarship and served as a copyright law and securities law research assistant. Prior to law school, Christopher graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the Liberal Arts Honors program at The University of Texas at Austin.
Chris enjoys playing golf and tennis, running, backpacking, fishing and camping.
“Chris Kindel has done wonders at the firm since joining... he garners plenty of accolades for his transactional smarts.”World Trademark Review's WTR 1000 (2015)
- WTR 1000 The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, World Trademark Review (2015 – 2016)
- The Best Lawyers in America® Trademark Law, by Woodward/White, Inc. (2017)
- Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Trademark Lawyers, Law Business Research Ltd. (2015-2017)
- Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides, Rising Stars 2015, Trade Marks, U.S.
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- International Trademark Association
- Subcommittee Chair, Harmonization of Trademark Laws and Practice Committee
- North America Global Advisory Council
- State Bar of Texas
- Entertainment & Sports Law Section
- Copyright Society of the United States of America
- Programming Committee, Texas Chapter
- State Bar of New York
- State Bar of North Carolina
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Co-Presenter, “Advertising’s Day in Court: The Supreme Court takes a Stand on False Advertising,” American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education, (with Saul Perloff, Adam Scoville, Rebecca Tushnet) July 2014
- Speaker, “From Keywords to Naked Licensing: An Update on Notable Trademark Law Developments and Trends,” Austin IP Law Association, August 2012
- Co-Presenter, “IP Best Practices,” Austin Asian American Bar Association (with Gina Shishima and Anuj Dharia), November 2011
- Co-Presenter “Trademark Transactions,” Fulbright IP Training Series (with Paul Williamson) October 2010
- Speaker, “Knowing the Rules of the Game in China: Impact of Legal Environmental & IP rights for US Exporters,” November 2009, U.S. – China Business Forum: Green Texas 2009
- “Intellectual Property Overview,”Rice Alliance Digital Media Entrepreneurship Workshop, June 2008
- Co-Author, “New Intellectual Property Enforcement Legislation, the PRO-IP Act, is Signed Into Law,” Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Briefing, October 2008
- Author, “When Digital Contacts Equal Minimum Contacts: How Fourth Circuit Courts Should Assess Personal Jurisdiction in Trademark Disputes Over Internet Domain Names,” North Carolina Law Review, Volume 78, Issue 6, September 2000